Local Buffalo Mozzarella ALERT
Speaking of mozzarella...Northern California-based Bubalus Bubalis Mozzarella is looking to crack the fresh mozzarella market with its water buffalo mozzarella. Sales of the cheese from its 200-head water buffalo herd hit $1.0 million last year as the operation produced about 150,000-lbs. of the cheese which fetches upward of $20 a pound at retail, according to the International Herald Tribune.
Nutritional benefits of buffalo-milk mozzarella (from the Bubalus website):
- One of the lowest caloric levels of all types of cheese with a balanced content of proteins and fats.
- Considerable amounts of calcium and vitamin D
- An amount of mineral salts inferior to seasoned or dry cheeses
- An amount of lactic enzymes similar to that of yogurt, rich therefore in high probiotic qualities such as the production of vitamins of the B group
- Presence of L-lactic acid, the only isomer of lactic acid compatible with the human organism, contrary to yogurt and other types of cheese which contain an equal amount of both L-lactic acid and D-lactic acid, the latter being non compatible with the human metabolism.
When I checked their site, I could find no northern California retail stores that sell the cheese. I emailed them to ask why. I'll report back to this post when they respond.